Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pork Chops with Pineapple Fried Rice, Pioneer Woman Style

Made a new recipe last night! Pork Chops with Pineapple Fried Rice, courtesy of the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. Please find the recipe here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/03/pork-chops-with-pineapple-fried-rice/

I didn't take pictures this time in case I ended up with a blackened lumpy mess - but I definitely will provide a step by step next time! If you haven't guessed yet, I did not turn out with a blackened lumpy mess! We loved it!No leftovers!

I made this for my family, which obviously includes lots of kids so I made a few alterations to suit their taste (and also increased my portions sizes)!

First, grilling the pineapple wasn't an option for me due to weather so I sauteed it in butter and honey - perfect. I also added it in at the end of cooking the fried rice so it could absorb some of those flavors. Let it cook in 2-3 minutes.

Second, I double up'd on the liquids so I could transfer the liquid to a WOK since I needed a large workspace for all that rice to feed my family! Speaking of rice - I used quick 5 minute instant that I stuck in the freezer to quickly cool down and dry out some - and it worked like a charm!

Third, I added more eggs, cause we love some eggs in our fried rice!

Fourth, I added sesame oil! We love the nutty flavor it gives. I added it right in the last few minutes because sesame oil will burn quickly!

Fifth, speaking of nutty flavor...in last two minutes of cooking I threw in a handful of sunflower seeds to the rice - love it!

Sixth, we decreased the minced garlic because we used the already minced, refrigerated kind (which is stronger), and also because we aren't huge garlicky people.

Seventh, we omitted the hot sauce and pimentos to suit my kids taste.

Eighth, we added carrots to give it back a pop of color and we always like that in our fried rice!

And there you have it! Family devoured it - next time, I will photograph it and since I will be well prepared with the changes that I will make (I did them en route this time) - I am certain it will turn out even better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment